On July 13th, 2020, SAP announced a critical vulnerability (CVE-2020-6287) affecting the LM Configuration Wizard component in the NetWeaver Application Server (AS) Java platform.
The vulnerability allows for an unauthenticated threat actor to take control of SAP applications. This would allow for the execution of arbitrary commands and could result in data exfiltration .
Organizations using the LM Configuration Wizard component are highly recommend to patch affected systems; patching for internet-facing systems should take higher priority. At the time of the writing, no active exploitation of this vulnerability has been observed, but given the severity of the exploit and low attack complexity, it is probable this will change soon .
What we’re doing about it
- eSentire security teams continue to track this topic for additional details and detection opportunities
- In the interim, mitigation steps in the "What you should do about it" section are the best defense against this vulnerability
What you should do about it
- After performing a business impact review, apply the official security patches provided by SAP 
- If patches cannot be applied immediately, it is recommended to disable the LM Configuration Wizard service as outlined in the SAP’s security note 
- Ensure that all affected SAP NetWeaver platforms are closely monitored until patches are deployed
The vulnerability resides in web component of the SAP NetWeaver AS for Java, due to the lack of an authentication mechanism. If exploited, an unauthenticated threat actor could connect remotely through an HTTP interface to obtain unrestricted access to the vulnerable SAP system. This could lead to disruption of critical business services, and or modification or extraction of highly sensitive information.
SAP applications which are running on top of the NetWeaver AS Java component with versions 7.30, 7.31, 7.40, 7.50, are affected by this vulnerability .
CISA has listed several potentially vulnerable SAP products due to the presence of the SAP NetWeaver AS Java in them. There is a caveat that their list is not exhaustive :
- SAP Enterprise Resource Planning
- SAP Product Lifecycle Management
- SAP Customer Relationship Management
- SAP Supply Chain Management
- SAP Supplier Relationship Management
- SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse
- SAP Business Intelligence
- SAP NetWeaver Mobile Infrastructure
- SAP Enterprise Portal
- SAP Process Orchestration/Process Integration)
- SAP Solution Manager
- SAP NetWeaver Development Infrastructure
- SAP Central Process Scheduling
- SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment and
- SAP Landscape Manager